Friday, May 25, 2007

Egg Biryani

Getting the carbs before a long run

Long distance running is not my thing; never was. Or short distance running, for that matter. However, some circumstances led to me running in the 'Bay to Breakers' race in San Francisco last weekend. It is a 12K or 7.6 mile course, and it was my longest run ever. If worst comes to worst, I could simply walk, I thought. This being the tamasha that the 'Bay to Breakers' is, there would be plenty of dawdlers. Thankfully, it wasn't so bad, and I had a fun run, and even managed to take a few pictures along the way.

When it comes to food, a run like this needs a nice carb loaded dinner on the previous evening, methinks, so what if this is not a marathon. Besides, who am I kidding, I often eat a carb loaded meal like this even otherwise. So I decided to make a simple egg biryani, more of an egg pulao to be precise, since there is no layering and no dum cooking. For some reason I have always called this egg biryani, so let it be! It is easy and comforting, and it gave me plenty of time to get my bib, chip, and attire ready for the next morning.

Egg Biryani

1-1/2 cups uncooked basmati rice
6 eggs
2 medium onions
4 Tablespoons of oil
1 bay leaf
1 black cardamom (moti elaichi)
1 stick of cassia bark or cinnamon
a few whole cloves
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon red chili powder
2 teaspoons coriander powder
3 cups water
salt to taste
1 Tablespoon raisins
1-2 Tablespoons chopped cilantro
1-2 green chilies, whole or slit lengthwise (optional)

Hard boil the eggs. To do this, place them in a saucepan of cold water and bring to boil. Cook it for 10 minutes after that, and turn off the heat. Rinse the rice with cold water and let it soak in some water for about 20 minutes, and then drain it. Slice the onions thinly.

Heat the oil, in a large saucepan, and add half of the sliced onion to it. Fry the onion until it turns dark brown, and then remove from the oil with a slotted spoon. Keep it aside.

In the remaining oil, add the bay leaf, cardamom, cassia bark and cloves, wait till they start to change color and add the remaining onions. Saute on medium heat till the onion is golden brown in color. Reduce the heat, add the powdered dry spices, and then the rice. Stir it around until the rice is coated with the spices. Add the water, and increase the heat. When the water comes to a boil, add salt, and cook uncovered till the rice has absorbed most of the water.

While the rice cooks, shell the eggs. You can either cut them in half lengthwise, or leave them whole and pierce them slightly all over.

Add the raisins and the eggs to the rice, and turn down the heat to very low, or turn it off if the heating element on your stove stays hot for a long time (mine does). Cover with a lid for about 10 minutes.

Add the fried onion, chopped cilantro and green chilies towards the end.

Race Day Pictures

Elvis Lives
Bay to Breakers - Elvis

This costumed couple with stroller ran at my speed for most of the way
Bay to Breakers - Costumed Couple

Going up the Hayes Hill
Bay to Breakers - Hayes Hill

Passing by the Conservatory of Flowers in the Golden Gate Park
Bay to Breakers - Conservatory of Flowers

I can see the ocean, the end must be near!
Bay to Breakers - close to the finish

14 comments:

FH said...

Loved the photos and LOVED the Skunk!!;D
I get confused betn Pulao and Biryani too.I guess Biryani has more spices than Pulao.Egg Biryani looks delicious.Have a great weekend:))

TheCooker said...

Loved the pictures! Pulao/Biryani get me cofnused too.
Bay to Breakers: has been on my to-do list for the longest time.
Nosey question: Are you from the Bay Area or just visiting?

bee said...

congratulations on completing the race.

Richa said...

all that running, that's wonderful!
loved the pics :)
btw did u ever get around to making the trio?

Aruna said...

Hello, I didnt run any marathon, but on threadmill :-) used to run like 5 miles a day, had become quite an obsession, but that was my pre marrige days 4 yrs bk, now no time for anything ;-(

Ur egg biryani seems soo delicious!!! thx for sharing.

www.themistressofspices.wordpress.com

Mrs. K said...

Nice pictures!
And egg biriyani...yum!!

ushaprashanth said...

hi!seems like a delicious dish! nice picture...

evolvingtastes said...

asha and thecooker, thank you. I thought that in a pulao. most imngredients are cooked together in one pot, and in a biryani the meats/veggies and rice are cooked separately, and then there is some layering involved so that the flavors infuse each other. I think you will find this discussion interesting and informative:
difference between biryanis and pulaos

evolvingtastes said...

bee, thanks. The ole muscles weren't as kind to me, but I am glad I completed it!

richa, thank you too. kya re, making me feel rather guilty about the trio? Besides, you are posting stuff like those paneer poories and ragda patties that are going way up on the 'must make' list! So many things to do, so little time.

Aruna, thanks, and welcome here. Running is indeed quite addictive, but a good addiction to have!

rp, nice to see you around here. Welcome!

ushaprashanth, thanks, and welcome here.

Unknown said...

I prepared Egg Biryani yesterday and everyone liked it.. This is the first time I am satisfied with my biryani cooking. I haven't been able to cook biryani/ pulao as nicely till yesterday. Thanks for the receipe from me and my husband.

evolvingtastes said...

Anitha, I am glad it worked out for you. Thanks a lot for stopping by with your comment to let me know.

Welcome to my blog!

Unknown said...

Oh yum looks great. Love biryani but am yet to attempt it. Thanks for the detailed instructions and fabulous photos!
_______________________
Chennai Shopping Offers

Unknown said...

I tried this yesterday and it was great.Thank you. You have a lovely blog.
____________________________
Chennai Shopping Offers

evolvingtastes said...

Thanks for letting me know, Addie.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...