Sunday, December 13, 2009

Apple Cake "Tatin"

Slightly Light Version

Ina Garten's recipe for Apple Cake "Tatin" is just perfection. A scoop of vanilla ice cream on the side doesn't hurt a bit. I really don't need to say anything more, but I'll add a few small notes:

1. Pull the caramel off the heat as soon as it hits warm amber, even if it isn't at 360 degrees, because even a few seconds can make a difference.

2. Make sure the caramel layer is completely cool before adding the batter on top.

Mine was just shy of getting bitter because of these two reasons, but the overall taste was a winner regardless.

Apple Cake "Tatin"

I halved the recipe and it still served 6 decent sized slices. I also used slightly drained yogurt instead of sour cream. Hence, light. See?

7 comments:

Unknown said...

The title itself looks so appetizing! Will try this sometime.

Home Cooked Oriya Food said...

That looks so wonderful... I want to grab a bite now...

Vaishali said...

Tarte tatin is one of my go-to recipes when I want something stylish yet easy enough to put together in a hurry. Love the idea of combining a cake with the tatin- reminds me a little of upside-down cakes. How can one go wrong with that?

Miri said...

Absolutely beautiful!

evolvingtastes said...

Divya, Somoo, Miri, thanks a lot!

Vaishali, I can bet you have a fascinating vegan version up your sleeve!

Ms.Chitchat said...

That sure is a lovely treat for the eyes and the tummy. Great looking cake :):)

Chitchat
http://chitchatcrossroads.blogspot.com/

evolvingtastes said...

Thanks, Ms.Chitchat :). Welcome here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...