Thursday, June 21, 2012

Strawberry Rhubarb Mint Chutney

On 'Evolving Notes', I have written about various fruit chutneys that I have made, mostly inspired by the recipes from 'My Bombay Kitchen'. While all of them were delicious, the best of them all was the Rhubarb Chutney.

Earlier this spring, Mints wrote a post about that Rhubarb Chutney which reminded me to make it once again. I was also reminded of her crowd-pleasing Strawberry Mint lemonade, which I like a lot as well. All of these favorite flavors then easily came together in another chutney, and a new winner was created.

Taking a cue from Niloufer Ichaporia, I followed the principle of making sure that the chutney was emphatically sweet, hot, and tart.

Strawberry, Rhubarb, and Mint Chutney

Strawberry Rhubarb Mint Chutney

Ingredients

About 2 stalks of rhubarb (about 4 oz)
1 pint strawberries
1 teaspoon grated ginger
1 teaspoon red chili powder (cayenne)
3/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup sugar
1 Tablespoon cider vinegar
30-40 mint leaves
optional lemon juice if needed

Method

Hull the strawberries. If the rhubarb has dry ends, trim them off. Chop the rhubarb and strawberries into 1/2 inch sized pieces and add them to a stainless steel pan. Add everything except the mint leaves and cook on medium high heat, stirring occasionally for 15-20 minutes or until it is jammy and soft. You can check by mashing the pieces of strawberries and rhubard with the back of the cooking spoon.

When cool, add coarsely chopped or torn mint leaves. Use an immersion blender or a food processor and pulse a few times until the mint leaves are finely chopped. Either way, remember to pulse.

Taste, taste, taste. Adjust the salt, heat with chili powder, and tartness with lemon juice if needed.


Serving fruit chutneys

I usually serve these chutneys just like most other chutneys and pickles in Indian cuisine. I place them on the table, for everyone to help themselves. Over the last couple of years, I have been enjoying various cheese courses while eating out, and I have started creating them at home as well. When I have a sweet and spicy chutney on hand, I buy an interesting cheese, some hearty fresh bread or crackers, and arrange it on a platter to savor with a glass of wine or other drinks.

Strawberry Rhubarb Chutney with Brie

Cheese and chutney

Other Chutneys

A note on other chutneys I have made, and a recipe for Pear Ginger Chutney.

10 comments:

sra said...

That's a vibrant colour! I've had rhubarb (pudding) just once, in the UK. I like both the photos.

evolvingtastes said...

Thanks Sra! I haven't eaten or cooked much with rhubarb, because it seems kind of boring, but watch out for another post for what I did with it.

Anjali Koli said...

Rooh ko touch karne wala Rhubarb? ya pride wala Rubab ;) Humm don't know if this leafy veg has made way to the Indian markets yet, I don't go the exotic food aisle a lot these days, so you telling me I must?

evolvingtastes said...

Anjali, try and enjoy your local goodies as much as you can! I don't think you need to go in search of Rhubarb, but if you happen to see it easily somewhere, you know what to do. :)

Mints! said...

Thanks for linky love :) I must try this version soon.

Great clicks as usual!!!

evolvingtastes said...

Mints, thank _you_! I cook so many things from your blog, a little link love is nothing.

Indian Food Rocks said...

This is my kind of chutney! Thanks for leading me to this recipe! I have some untended rhubarb growing in my backyard, and it is probably just enough to make this. I am also interested in your pear-ginger chutney but the link asks me to login.

evolvingtastes said...

Manisha, you have access now on request!

Foodie15 said...

What is the yield of this recipe? I am serving it fo a large group, need to know how much more to make!

evolvingtastes said...

Foodie15, about one cup or a little more.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...